Nicole_avatar

Nicole Lafond

Nicole Lafond is a news writer for TPM based in New York City. She is also currently earning a master's degree in journalism from Columbia University and previously worked as an education reporter at The News-Gazette in Champaign, Ill. Follow her on Twitter @Nicole_Lafond.

Articles by Nichole

President Donald Trump believes a new poll showing that nearly half of Americans believe the news media is inventing stories about his administration is actually low-balling the issue.

On Wednesday night he tweeted, quoting a poll that Fox News reported on — but was actually published by Politico and Morning Consult — that found “46 percent of Americans think the media is inventing stories about Trump and his administration,” Trump wrote.

“It is actually much worse than this!” he said.

The Politico poll, published Wednesday, found that nearly 50 percent of Americans do, in fact, think that the media fabricates stories about Trump and his administration, while 37 percent don’t. Republicans are more suspicious of the media than any other group, with 76 percent saying they believe in fake news. The group’s distrust of the news is not particularly surprising as the party’s leader, Trump, spends so much time criticizing the media.

Only one in five Democrats have bought into Trump’s media outrage, but 44 percent of independents think the media is making up stories.

The President’s claims on Wednesday are nothing new.

Trump has been diminishing the media since the days of his campaign when he seized on the phrase “fake news.” He’s been particularly irked the past few weeks after NBC News published a story that claimed his Secretary of State Rex Tillerson called him a “moron” and wanted to resign this summer. The President tweeted last week, questioning what could be done to revoke the licenses of broadcast media outlets.

This week, Trump told radio host Chris Plante that he thought journalists would publish more favorable pieces about him after he won the election.

“Actually, dishonesty in the media is one of the things that surprised me the most,” he said Tuesday. “I thought after I won, the media would become much more stable and much more honest. They’ve gone crazy. CNN is a joke. NBC is a total joke. You watch what they report, it bears no relationship to what I’m doing. But the media is absolutely dishonest — and frankly, I’ve never seen anything quite like it.”

The Politico poll was conducted from Oct. 12 to the 16th and surveyed 1,991 registered voters. The margin of error is +/- 2 percentage points.

Read More →

Department of Energy Secretary Rick Perry brushed off the controversy that President Donald Trump started by criticizing the way past presidents treated the families of fallen soldiers, by calling the debate “asinine” and a “waste of time.”

“It even boils down to splitting hairs finer than that — did they actually sign the letter or did they autopen it?” Perry told CBS News Wednesday, referencing a five-year-old dispute over whether former President Barack Obama used an auto-pen to sign condolence letters to families of some Navy SEALs killed in Afghanistan.

“I mean that’s how asinine I will suggest to you this whole thing is from my perspective. The Presidents of the United States each have a love for this country,” he said. “They have a love for the young men and women who serve and the families who have lost them. I think anyone who questions that — now do they handle it differently? Yes, and that’s OK.”

Perry reiterated the stance that the White House has taken since Monday, claiming that Trump was trying to say that every President offers condolences to families differently.

“They all reach out in their own way. … From my perspective, I know we live in a 24/7 news cycles and to be splitting hairs on how do we mourn, how do you give comfort, I think is a waste of time, frankly,” Perry told CBS.

Trump ignited the firestorm on Monday when he was asked about the deaths of four U.S. troops in Niger nearly two weeks ago. Trump claimed that “Obama and other presidents, most of them didn’t make calls, a lot of them didn’t make calls,” which was met with widespread condemnation from former Obama aides.

When Trump finally did make phone calls to the families of the four fallen soldiers, 14 days after their deaths, he reportedly told Myeshia Johnson, the widow of Army Sgt. La David Johnson, that the soldier “knew what he was getting into” when he enlisted, according to Rep. Frederica Wilson (D-FL) who was apparently in the car with Johnson when she received the call.

Trump pushed back on those reports, tweeting that Wilson’s comments were “totally fabricated” and claiming he had “proof” that she made it up. During a White House press briefing Wednesday, press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders blamed the controversy on the media and claimed there were several people in the room, including Chief of Staff John Kelly, who thought Trump’s comments were “respectful.” 

Read More →

The Jackson, Mississippi public school district board of education voted to change the name of one of its magnet elementary schools — named for the President of the Confederacy during the civil war — in honor of former President Barack Obama.

The name change for the Jefferson Davis Elementary School, which has a student population that is 98 percent black, was announced Tuesday at the district school board meeting, according to the Clarion-Ledger. The school will now be called the Barack Obama Magnet IB.

The PTA wanted to rename the building to “reflect a person who fully represents ideals and public stances consistent with what we want our children to believe about themselves,” PTA President Janelle Jefferson said at the meeting, the Clarion-Ledger reported.

There are two other elementary schools in the district that are named after Confederate leaders, but the school district did not immediately respond to TPM’s requests for comment on the status of those schools’ names.

The Obama name change comes as schools, churches and municipalities across the country drop Confederacy-affiliated labels from their buildings and remove Confederate statues from public spaces.

Last month, the episcopal church that Confederate commander Robert E. Lee attended when he was president of Washington and Lee College in Lexington, Virginia even voted to change its name from the Robert E. Lee Memorial Church back to its original title, the Grace Episcopal Church. 

The violence at a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville last month intensified the debate over what place Confederate memorials have in society.

At the Charlottesville rally, a group of white nationalists gathered to protest the removal of a statue of Lee. The rally turned violent and ended with a man affiliated with white supremacists allegedly driving his car through a crowd of counter-protesters and killing one person. 

Read More →

President Donald Trump on Tuesday claimed that “they say” he’s done more during his first nine months in the Oval Office “than any President in history.”

Trump has struggled to achieve his legislative agenda, but conservatives, and Trump himself, point to the confirmation of Neil Gorsuch on the Supreme Court as a major accomplishment for the President.

Speaking to the crowd gathered at the Heritage Foundation’s President’s Club meeting, Trump apologized to the “lobbyists” in the crowd who may lose their jobs because of his efforts to “put more Americans back to work and more lobbyists out of work” by repealing the Environmental Protection Agency’s “so called Clean Power Plan.”

“(We) have ended finally the war on clean, beautiful coal. People are going back to work,” he said. “Over the last nine months we have removed job-killing regulations at a record pace. In fact, in nine months, we have done more, they say, than any President in history.”

It wasn’t clear who “they” are, but Trump claimed there was “more to come,” saying “regulatory reform” is part of his administration’s drive to “drain the swamp.”

“We have statutory guidelines we have to go by — a period of time, but there’s much more to come,” he said. “I believe in regulation but, it has to be limited to what we need. We want clean water, we want clean air. It has to be fair. We also want, by the way, jobs.”

Watch his full speech below:

Read More →

Continuing his campaign against the Republican elite, former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon rallied for Sen. Jeff Flake’s (R-AZ) front-running challenger Tuesday evening, telling the crowd of rightwing activists that GOP establishment is going to “reap the whirlwind” and “that whirlwind is Kelli Ward.”

Throwing his weight behind Ward, a former state senator, is just one of several moves Bannon vowed to make in his “war” against at least 15 Republicans — who he called the “new aristocracy” — whose seats are up for reelection in 2018.

“It’s an open revolt and it should be. … We’re building a grass-roots army,” Bannon said at Ward’s campaign kickoff, Arizona Central reported. “These people hold you in total contempt. When they attack a Donald Trump and a Dr. Kelli Ward, it’s not Donald Trump and Kelli Ward that they’re trying to shut up. It’s you they’re trying to shut up. … They think you’re a group of morons.”

Last month, the Bannon-supported, controversial former Alabama state Supreme Court Justice Roy Moore beat out his incumbent challenger Sen. Luther Strange (R-AL) — who President Donald Trump endorsed — in the Republican runoff primaries.

Flake is next on Bannon’s attack list.

The one-term senator is considered to be one of the most vulnerable incumbents up for reelection after he refused to endorse or vote for Trump last year and published a book this summer criticizing Republicans for embracing Trump.

Read More →

Swiss investor and frequent business media commentator Marc Faber thinks the U.S. is a rich country because white people, “and not the blacks,” populated America first.

The Financial Times was first to report on Faber’s comments after it obtained an investors’ newsletter that Faber — also known as “Dr. Doom” — wrote.

“And thank God white people populated America, and not the blacks. Otherwise, the U.S. would look like Zimbabwe, which it might look like one day anyway, but at least America enjoyed 200 years in the economic and political sun under a white majority. I am not a racist, but the reality – no matter how politically incorrect – needs to be spelled out,” Faber said.

When reached by the Financial Times reporter Tuesday, Faber said in an email that he stood by his comments because “this is an undisputable [sic] fact.”

“If stating some historical facts makes me a racist, then I suppose that I am a racist,” he said.

Later Tuesday Faber was asked to resign from the board of Sprott, an asset management company where he served as an independent director on the board since 2010.

Sprott’s CEO Peter Grosskopf told CNBC that the company was “deeply disappointed to hear these remarks” and said he was “shocked” to find out Faber thought that way, prompting the board and executives to ask for his immediate resignation.

A CNBC spokesperson said the news outlet doesn’t intend to book Faber as a business commentator in the future.

Faber’s blatantly racist comments were part of an investor letter in which he discussed recent pressure to remove Confederate statues across the U.S, according to the FT.

Faber said Confederate symbols should be considered “statues of honorable people whose only crime was to defend what all societies had done for more than 5,000 years: keep part of the population enslaved,” according to the Financial Times.

The discussion about removing Confederate monuments was thrust back into the national debate after a group of white nationalists protesting the removal of a Robert E. Lee statue gathered in Charlottesville, Virginia this summer. The rally turned violent when a man affiliated with the white supremacists allegedly drove his car through a crowd of counter-protesters, killing one woman.

 

Read More →

The Scaramucci Post stepped in it.

The new pet project from Anthony Scaramucci, who served a mere 10 days as White House communications director, has been tackling a random assortment of topics through Twitter polls and retweets since the media account launched in August.

On Tuesday, the Scaramucci Post apparently attempted to take on Holocaust deniers.

After retweeting posts about an Anne Frank Halloween costume asking for readers “thoughts?” on the topic, the Scaramucci Post launched a new poll, asking for feedback on “how many Jews were killed in the Holocaust?”

The tweet was apparently posted by Lance Laifer, whose Twitter profile says he runs a program called Hedge Funds vs. Malaria and Pneumonia, and who is responsible for posting Scaramucci Post’s tweets.

The poll was deleted after being live for about an hour and was apparently posted “without consulting @Scaramucci who is traveling in London.”

Laifer apologized from the Scaramucci account, saying the poll was supposed to “highlight ignorance of the basic facts of the Holocaust.”

The post caught the attention of the Anti-Defamation League, which retweeted the poll and said “this question is beyond resolved” and told Scaramucci to “take it down.” ADL head Jonathan Greenblatt spoke out from his personal account, saying the poll was “offensive” and “should not have been posted in the first place.”

It’s widely known that 6 million Jewish people were killed by the Nazis during the Holocaust. An estimated 11 million people total were murdered during the genocide in Europe in the 1940s, including Jews, as well as several other groups like gay people, gypsies, the physically or mentally disabled and Slavic people.

The purpose of The Scaramucci Post is vague, as Scarmucci has claimed it will discuss “what’s going on in society and how we can make this society better.”

Despite these lofty goals, the account’s feed mostly consists of emojis, Twitter surveys — asking followers about everything from “How are you?” to whether the U.S. should instigate a nuclear war — and retweets of other outlet’s stories asking followers for “thoughts?” on articles.

Read More →

Former White House aide Sebastian Gorka called Sen. John McCain’s (R-AZ) speech that railed against “spurious nationalism” on Monday night “very disappointing” and suggested McCain is out of touch.

“You can be a hero, but you can also — also not know what you are talking about,” Gorka said, appearing on “Fox and Friends” Tuesday morning. “John McCain hasn’t seen a war he didn’t like in the last 20 years and that’s not who the President is. The President believes that it’s America first and the idea that you just criticized him from the sidelines — this is a man who doesn’t want to be interventionist.”

During a speech accepting the National Constitution Center’s Liberty Medal, McCain encouraged American leaders to not abandon the United States’ position leading the world, apparently referencing Trump and his America-first policies, a move that highlights the continuously deepening divide between the Republican establishment and conservative Trump loyalists like Gorka.

“(Trump) uses force where it’s necessary,” Gorka said. “To say we need more of the kinds of things we saw in the last 16 years, Senator McCain, no we don’t.”

Read More →

White House legislative director Marc Short declined to tell House investigators whether some of President Donald Trump’s top aides used private emails for official business, despite multiple reports to the contrary, Politico reported Monday.

Reps. Trey Gowdy (R-SC) and Elijah Cummings (D-MD), the chair and ranking member of the House Oversight Committee, respectively, sent a bipartisan letter to the White House in September requesting the names of aides who had used private emails accounts for White House business.

Cummings and Gowdy also asked for the “the individual, cellular number and account used” by any White House officials who communicated using “text-messages, phone-based message applications, or encryption software to conduct official business,” according to the letter obtained by Politico.

Short refused to even touch the issue of private email accounts. He said staffers “endeavor to comply with all relevant laws” and said the White House “consults” with the National Archives to make sure it is in compliance with the Presidential Records Act.

He repeated a previous claim that “no senior officials” have multiple emails accounts and said the White House hasn’t made any changes to how it’s required to archive presidential records since January.

“This administration is committed to the effective implementation of federal records preservation and public access laws. Thank you for your attention to this important matter,” Short wrote.

The response comes after multiple reports surfaced last month, alleging that White House adviser — and Trump’s son-in-law — Jared Kushner, former chief strategist Steve Bannon, economic adviser Gary Cohn and former Chief-of-Staff Reince Priebus all used private emails at least occasionally for official business.

Short also skirted the House investigators’ request for documents related to administration officials use of private jets for official travel, telling Cummings and Gowdy to redirect their requests to heads of each department instead of Chief-of-Staff John Kelly.

Read Short’s letter below:

Read More →

While President Donald Trump maintained his frustrated rhetoric about the investigation into Russian meddling in the U.S. election, he changed course as it relates to special counsel Robert Mueller, saying he has “no” intention of firing the investigator.

During a press conference in the Rose Garden Monday, Trump echoed his usual talking points on the Russia probe. He “would like to see it end” and labeled the investigations into Russian meddling in the election and potential collusion between the Russians and Trump’s campaign “an excuse for Democrats.”

“That was just an excuse for the Democrats, losing an election that frankly, they have a big advantage in the electoral college. They should always be able to win in the electoral college,” he said. “There was absolutely no collusion. It’s been stated there was no collusion. They ought to get to the end of it because I think the American public is sick of it.”

When asked whether he intends to fire special counsel Mueller, he said “no, not at all.”

The comments are a break from remarks Trump has reportedly made in private in recent months, raging against Mueller and questioning whether he could fire him.

Read More →

LiveWire