Rep. John Conyers (D-MI), who several ex-staffers have accused of sexual harassment and misconduct, on Sunday said he will “step aside” as the top Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee while the chamber’s ethics panel investigates the allegations.
“After careful consideration and in light of the attention drawn by recent allegations made against me, I have notified the Democratic Leader of my request to step aside as Ranking Member of the House Judiciary Committee during the investigation of these matters,” Conyers said in a statement.
Conyers said he denies the accusations and “very much” looks forward to “vindicating” himself before the House Ethics Committee, which announced last week that it was opening an investigation into the accusations against Conyers.
BuzzFeed News reported last week that several former staffers of Conyers accused him of asking them for sexual favors and inappropriately touching them. Conyers admitted that he reached a settlement agreement with one former staffer who alleged she was fired after refusing his advances.
Rep. Kathleen Rice (D-NY) called last week for Conyers to resign from Congress. House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) on Sunday declined to say whether Conyers should step down from the House.
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) on Sunday declined to say whether Rep. John Conyers (D-MI), who several ex-staffers have accused of sexual harassment and misconduct, should step down under her “zero tolerance policy.”
“You said there’s now a zero tolerance,” Chuck Todd asked Pelosi on NBC News’ “Meet the Press.” “John Conyers. What does that mean for him right now? In or out?”
“We are strengthened by due process. Just because someone is accused, and was it one accusation? Is it two? I think there has to be—John Conyers is an icon in our country. He has done a great deal to protect women,” Pelosi replied.
BuzzFeed News reported last week that several former staffers of Conyers accused him of inappropriately touching them and asking them for sexual favors. Conyers denied wrongdoing, but admitted he reached a settlement agreement with a former staffer who said she was fired after refusing Conyers’ advances. The House Ethics Committee launched an investigation last week into the accusations against Conyers.
“I believe he will do the right thing,” Pelosi said on Sunday.
“And is the right thing what? Resign?” Todd asked.
“He will do the right thing in terms of what he knows about his situation,” Pelosi said. “He’s entitled to due process. But women are entitled to due process as well.”
She claimed that Conyers’ accusers “have not really come forward” and said she doesn’t “know who they are.”
“So you don’t know if you believe the accusations?” Todd said.
“Well, that’s for the Ethics Committee to review,” Pelosi said.
Sen. John Thune (R-SD) on Sunday said he “would like to see” President Donald Trump push Alabama Republican Senate candidate Roy Moore to withdraw from the race amid numerous accusations of sexual misconduct, including assault.
“I would like to see the President, Chris, come out and support what many of us have said, and that is that Roy Moore needs to step aside, allow somebody else to be a write-in candidate, we can win that seat,” Thune said on “Fox News Sunday” to the show’s host Chris Wallace.
Trump, who has his own decades-long history of sexual misconduct allegations, doubled down on his support for Moore, and his criticism of Moore’s opponent, Democratic candidate Doug Jones, on Sunday.
Thune said that if Moore wins his race “there’s going to immediately be an ethics investigation which is going to be a cloud that he’ll be operating in.”
“It’s going to be a distraction for us and for our agenda,” he said. “So, you know, ultimately the decision is up to the people of Alabama, but it strikes me at least that it would be in their best interest and in the country’s best interest and certainly the best interest of our agenda if the President would use his influence to try to get Roy Moore to step aside.”
He said Trump “can speak for himself” but can also “use his influence and do what he can to get Moore to step aside.”
Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC) on Sunday said he wants to be “on the side of right when history writes the story” about Alabama Republican Senate candidate Roy Moore, who multiple women have accused of sexual misconduct.
“It is pretty clear to me that the best thing that Roy Moore can do for the country is to move on,” Scott said on ABC News’ “This Week.”
He said the allegations against Moore “are still very strong and credible, and the denial has been weak.”
“In my opinion, and in the opinion of many Republicans and conservatives in the Senate, it is time for us to turn the page, because it is not about partisan politics,” Scott said. “It is not about electing Republicans versus Democrats. This is about the character of our country. I want to be on the side of right when history writes the story.”
“So is President Trump on the side of wrong?” ABC News’ Martha Raddatz asked, referring to Trump’s tacit endorsement of Moore. The President, who has his own long history of misconduct allegations, doubled down on that endorsement Sunday morning.
“Well, the President will have to make his own decisions on where he thinks he is and why he’s there,” Scott said. “Partisan politics is very important in Washington.”
Asked whether he thinks Trump’s moral authority is compromised because of his continued support for Moore, Scott said, “Certainly I don’t think so.”
“I think there are many Americans that disagree with me vehemently. I don’t necessarily understand how, but they do,” he said. “When Americans disagree with me, whether that’s the President or other folks, it doesn’t change my opinion, but I’m certainly unable to change theirs.”
President Donald Trump on Saturday and Sunday tweeted support for his favorite cable news network and criticism of Alabama Democratic Senate candidate Doug Jones, the opponent of Republican candidate Roy Moore, who numerous women have accused of sexual misconduct and assault.
Trump on Saturday claimed that Fox News “is MUCH more important in the United States than CNN” and claimed “CNN International is still a major source of (Fake) news, and they represent our Nation to the WORLD very poorly.”
His criticism came after the Department of Justice filed a complaint to block a merger between AT&T and Time Warner, CNN’s parent company.
.@FoxNews is MUCH more important in the United States than CNN, but outside of the U.S., CNN International is still a major source of (Fake) news, and they represent our Nation to the WORLD very poorly. The outside world does not see the truth from them!
He also doubled down on his support for Moore in the form of criticism of Jones, who he called “WEAK on Crime, WEAK on the Border, Bad for our Military and our great Vets, Bad for our 2nd Amendment, AND WANTS TO RAISES (sic) TAXES TO THE SKY.”
The last thing we need in Alabama and the U.S. Senate is a Schumer/Pelosi puppet who is WEAK on Crime, WEAK on the Border, Bad for our Military and our great Vets, Bad for our 2nd Amendment, AND WANTS TO RAISES TAXES TO THE SKY. Jones would be a disaster!
Alabama Republican Senate candidate Roy Moore’s communications director resigned last week amid sexual misconduct allegations numerous women made against Moore, just over a month before the election.
“John Rogers served as communications director for the Roy Moore for U.S. Senate campaign for the last several weeks and we appreciate his valuable contributions to our team,” Moore’s campaign chairman Bill Armistead said in a statement to TPM on Wednesday.
Armistead said that “campaigns make changes throughout the duration of the campaign, as do those working in the campaign.”
“John made the decision to leave the campaign last Friday — any representations to the contrary are false — and we wish him well,” Armistead said.
Rogers confirmed to the Washingtonian by phone that he has resigned from Moore’s campaign, but declined to provide further comment. He did not respond to TPM’s requests for comment.
Numerous women have accused Moore of sexual misconduct, harassment and assault, and elected Republicans—with one notable exception—have called for Moore to drop out of the race.
The exception is President Donald Trump, who has four decades’ worth of sexual misconduct allegations to his own name, and who made it clear on Tuesday that he stands by his endorsement of Moore: “We don’t need a liberal Democrat in that seat.”
Moore has denied any wrongdoing and has painted the allegations against him as a media smear campaign.
The Trump Organization on Wednesday announced that it has reached a buyout deal to end its management and license agreement regarding its Trump SoHo hotel and apartment building.
The New York Times first reported that the Trump Organization, the President’s former business handed over to his sons to manage while he’s in office, has reached a deal to walk away from the Manhattan property by the end of the year, a little more than a month away.
The Trump Organization said in a release that it has reached an agreement for “the buyout of the remaining term of the management and license agreement of the Trump SoHo Hotel,” which is “anticipated to take place by year-end.”
The project was troubled from the beginning. The SoHo development was also the subject of complaints from private investors who accused the Bayrock Group, a frequent Trump partner, of failing to disclose fraud convictions of two Bayrock partners. The New York Times reported that the development also took “financing from questionable sources in Russia and Kazakhstan.”
Buyers in the development were angry that the Trumps allegedly inflated claims of the project’s success, and the Trump Organization ultimately settled a civil suit in 2011, admitting no wrongdoing and agreeing to refund much of buyers’ deposits.
ProPublica, WNYC and The New Yorker reported in October that the Manhattan district attorney’s Major Economic Crimes Bureau had opened an investigation into Ivanka Trump and Donald Trump, Jr., the President’s eldest children, in 2010.
Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr’s team reportedly acquired emails in which the Trump siblings discussed how to coordinate misleading information to give to people interested in condo units.
Marc Kasowitz, one of Trump’s longtime personal attorneys, donated $25,000 to Vance Jr.’s reelection campaign in 2012. According to the report, Vance Jr. returned the donation. He dropped the case against the elder Trump children several months later, and Kasowitz reportedly helped raise an additional $50,000 for his campaign.
Sen. Tom Carper (D-DE) on Wednesday claimed that President Donald Trump’s top economic adviser Gary Cohn once faked a bad connection to boot the President off a phone call that was interrupting a conversation about taxes.
“We’d been having about a half an hour conversation with Gary, with Marc Short and with Shahira Knight,” Carper said on CNN, referring to Trump’s director of legislative affairs and his top assistant for tax and retirement policy, respectively.
Carper said it was a “great conversation,” albeit one with an unexpected interruption.
“About 30 minutes into the call, Gary gets up and takes a call on his cell phone, comes back into the room,” Carper said. “He says, we have somebody calling in from Asia.”
The disruption, according to Carper, “was the President, which was nice.”
“Nice of him to do that,” Carper said. “Fifteen minutes later, the President is still talking.”
Carper said he gave Cohn a suggestion for how to get Trump off the phone: “It was a room where we’re all sitting around this big square table, and I said, Gary, why don’t you do this, why don’t you just take the phone from, you know, your cell phone back and just say, Mr. President, you’re brilliant! But we’re losing contact, and I think we’re going to lose you now, so good-bye.”
“And that’s what he did, and he hung up,” Carper said. “And then we went back to having the kind of conversation that we needed to.”
“So you’re saying Gary Cohn faked a bad connection to get the president off the phone?” CNN’s John Berman asked Carper.
“Well, I wouldn’t — I don’t want to throw him under the bus,” Carper said. “But yes.”
The White House said Carper’s account was “completely false.”
“Gary Cohn took the phone off speaker and continued to speak with the President privately for several minutes before they concluded the call,” principal deputy press secretary Raj Shah said in a statement to TPM.
Investigators working for Robert Mueller, the special counsel probing Russian interference in the 2016 election, are looking into contacts between White House adviser and President Donald Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner and foreign heads of state, the Wall Street Journal reported late Tuesday.
The Wall Street Journal reported, citing unnamed sources familiar with the matter, that Mueller’s investigators have questioned witnesses about Kushner’s involvement in a United Nations resolution condemning Israel’s settlements in disputed territories.
A day before the United Nations security council unanimously passed the resolution, Trump said it “should be vetoed.”
The Wall Street Journal reported that Kushner and Trump’s former chief adviser Steve Bannon were both involved in Israeli officials’ outreach to Trump’s administration regarding the resolution.
Investigators are also making inquiries about Kushner’s meeting in December 2016 with Sergey Gorkov, the head of a Russian state-owned bank that has deep connections to Russia’s intelligence agency, according to the report. The United States added the bank in question, Vnesheconombank, to its list of sanctioned entities in 2014.
As the Wall Street Journal noted, it was not immediately clear why Mueller’s investigators are looking into the matter, and such questions “don’t necessarily indicate suspicion.”
A local Alabama police chief was suspended without pay after making remarks he later claimed were “sarcasm,” accusing Democratic Senate candidate Doug Jones of inappropriately touching him decades earlier.
Killen Police Chief Bryan Hammond was suspended for 15 days without pay, AL.com reported, after posting on Facebook that “silence is consent.”
“On another note, Doug Jones fondled me on a Boy Scout camping trip in 1978,” Hammond wrote in a comment, according to AL.com. “I wasn’t gonna say anything, but I just couldn’t stand the thought of him being a senator. I was ok with it until now. By the way, you can’t see me right now but I’m crying as I type this.”
Hammond told AL.com in a phone interview that none of his claims were true and that he was joking.
“That was sarcasm,” Hammond said.
In a statement to local station WHNT, Hammond said he made the remark about silence being equivalent to consent (it isn’t) “in reference to people ignoring accusations from the opposing side” of political debates.
“One of the others misunderstood the intent of that phrase, so I clarified what my intent was immediately after,” Hammond claimed. “After explaining that it was in reference to the shoe being on the other foot, I gave an example by producing a similar example using the other candidate in my example.”
He said a reporter contacted him about the comment, and said he explained “that the example was in no way true and I had never even met the candidate.”
“I am truly sorry for any of my comments that may have been offensive to anyone,” Hammond said. “I never meant for the comments to be taken seriously, they were meant only as a joke with a friend.”
WHNT captured screenshots of the conversation, which show Hammond’s remarks in limited context. Hammond also made the untrue claim that Jones signed his yearbook, an apparent reference to a similar claim one of Alabama Republican Senate candidate Roy Moore’s accusers made in a press conference.
Beverly Young Nelson, one of several women who have come forward with allegations of sexual misconduct against Moore, claimed Moore signed her yearbook when she was in high school, and has offered to hand over the yearbook to Congress so she and Moore can testify under oath on the subject.